Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-20 19:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/20/2011 12:05 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 4/20/11 12:00 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Please provide the evidence that this is a problem that exists now, as
>> opposed to seven years ago.
> Since you're clearly already made up your mind that no problem exists, I
> don't have the energy to fight it out with you.
Well, you aren't fighting alone. We have significant problems in this
area. As you said, we always have. There is also a bizarre, almost
insane objection to using tools that "aren't invented here" to solve
problems. The problems you (Josh) present are real, regardless of
Robert's opinion. The thing that is important for everyone to remember
is PERCEPTION IS REALITY.

If people PERCEIVE there is a problem, THERE IS A PROBLEM.

So Robert, with respect to your "show me the money", the money is at
your feet on the floor. JB and I can list multitudes of hackers and
contributors who have the perception of this problem and that perception
is hurting the project because frankly, Astor Data isn't going to waste
it's valuable time (money) fighting our community. We have to make it
damn freaking easy for them or we lose their interest, and thus the
community loses.

From the whales of discontentment society,

JD

PostgreSQL Support, Training, Professional Services and Developement
Organizers of the PostgreSQL Conference - http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579