[Pljava-dev] Ongoing Development (funding): 8.4, Java 6 and beyond

From: p(dot)brewer at cornell(dot)edu (Peter Brewer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Ongoing Development (funding): 8.4, Java 6 and beyond
Date: 2010-10-05 13:51:35
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi Johann,

As Lucas said last week, we'll need an official release if the major
repositories are to accept an 8.4 version. Is this something that can
happen now?

My personal needs were fixed temporarily by Lucas' binary, but I would
feel *much* more comfortable if an official binary was in the major
respositories.

In terms of Ubuntu at least, pljava is already several releases behind
the times. The mismatch in versions means that there hasn't been a
functioning pljava for several releases now, and Maverick is just days
away from launch. With the release and gradual adoption of PG9, things
are getting even more desperate.

I guess there is the possibility of getting modest funds from my lab,
but I couldn't begin to ask for money until a firm plan with milestones
was in place. What sort of ballpark are we talking here? Hours, days,
weeks or months? It sounds to me like we're just a few hours away from
8.4 support, but what about 9?

Cheers

Peter