Re: On-disk size of db increased after restore

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL - General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-disk size of db increased after restore
Date: 2010-09-01 20:39:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/09/10 21:32, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 21:13 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>>
>> Could you have changed the fillfactor on some big tables/indexes in
>> the live database after populating them?
>
> Nope. Even a pg_dump -h prod|psql backup_node resulted with the same
> issue
>
>> Is the locale the same on each machine/db?
>
> These are generic RPM installations, and locales are the same...

OK - so not fillfactor and not some unicode-related padding. I can't see
how a 32 vs 64-bit architecture change could produce anything like a
doubling of database size.

Is it that each file is doubled in size, or are some much larger while
others are about the same? If the indexes are to blame it's presumably
something to do with the order of row access during index creation.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd