Re: On-disk size of db increased after restore

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL - General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-disk size of db increased after restore
Date: 2010-09-01 20:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Excerpts from Richard Huxton's message of mié sep 01 16:39:55 -0400 2010:

> OK - so not fillfactor and not some unicode-related padding. I can't see
> how a 32 vs 64-bit architecture change could produce anything like a
> doubling of database size.

Depending on table schemas, why not? e.g. consider a table with a
single bool column. It will waste 7 bytes on 8-byte MAXALIGN machine
but only 3 on a 4-byte MAXALIGN machine. Of course, this is a corner
case. Devrim didn't specify the platform on each server AFAICS.