Re: hardware for a server

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hardware for a server
Date: 2010-03-16 07:33:43
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce wrote:
> Vick Khera wrote:
>> Interesting... same advice goes for Adaptec + FreeBSD. I guess
>> Adaptec + !Windows == bad?
>>

> i've never liked adaptec, windows or not.

Yeah, I was trying to be as nice as possible since I don't run Windows
anymore, and for all I know their cards are fine on that OS. For me, I
just simplify to "Adaptec == bad", but can only tell you specifically
why that is for Linux.

> always been an LSI fan, as far back as when they were NCR Tolerant,
> then later Symbios. And the AMI Megaraid line, too.

I used to hesitate to recommend them only because their performance used
to lag relative to some of the alternatives--they were more the
"reliable but a bit slower" choice in earlier times. This is no longer
the case.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us