Re: hardware for a server

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hardware for a server
Date: 2010-03-15 20:11:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Vick Khera wrote:
> Interesting... same advice goes for Adaptec + FreeBSD. I guess
> Adaptec + !Windows == bad?

i've never liked adaptec, windows or not. bunches of their too-popular
SCSI cards even way back in the old days of 10-20MB/sec SCSI had sketchy
electrical specs on the SCSI bus and were way too sensitive to cabling,
termination, while the LSI stuff was just a lot more robust. I'd take
a 53C875 or whatever over a 2940W any day.

always been an LSI fan, as far back as when they were NCR Tolerant, then
later Symbios. And the AMI Megaraid line, too.