Re: unresolved bugs

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unresolved bugs
Date: 2010-01-07 14:19:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>> *sigh* - that was mostly ment as a joke and not a really serious
>> comment. However the idea I actually had with BZ back in the days was
>> not to use it as a full fledged tracker(in the sense of exposing it to
>> users or developers)
>> Instead I would just use it as the background engine that does nothing
>> more than being subscribed to -bugs, tracks the stuff there and provides
>> an summary export about (not)replied to reports. If somebody later on
>> wants to annotate the emails/reports there (as in solved,open,moved to
>> todo,not a pg core question,whatever) fine - if not fine as well :)
>
> bugzilla doesn't really interface to email well enough to do that.
> I gather that debbugs might work better, but I have no personal
> experience with it.

well recent bugzilla versions do have both an email interface (an early
version of that was used in my prototype - the newer ones are much more
powerful an can do) and an remote XML-RPC Interface (which I used for
the bugform integration).
As a pure email tracker with no real external apps debbugs is probably
more powerful though (but not really used a lot outside of the debian
project).

Stefan