Re: Index Selection Tool For PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: mahendra chavan <mahcha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index Selection Tool For PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-08-18 17:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mahendra,

> I wish to contribute my code to PostgreSQL. I am not sure if such a tool
> already exists for PostgreSQL.The details of the tool are in the
> attached specification.

This really should be a separate tool from the Postgres executable
itself, since users would want it only at design time and not at
runtime. So putting the code in postgres.c at all is not the right way
to go. It needs to be a loadable module.

If you want to put the code you have up somewhere, I'd happily give you
control of this project:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/index-adviser/

... which has been dead for 2 years, and never produced any working code.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.