Re: Find difference between two Text fields

From: Aleksander Kmetec <aleksander(dot)kmetec(at)intera(dot)si>
To: Peter Hunsberger <peter(dot)hunsberger(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Find difference between two Text fields
Date: 2009-07-25 03:01:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

there might be a better solution out there, but it seemed like an interesting problem so I wrote this function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION stringdiff(text, text)
RETURNS TEXT
AS $$
SELECT array_to_string(ARRAY(
SELECT
CASE WHEN substring($1 FROM n FOR 1) = substring($2 FROM n FOR 1)
THEN ' '
ELSE substring($2 FROM n FOR 1)
END
FROM generate_series(1, character_length($1)) as n), '');
$$ language sql;

Use it like this:
SELECT stringdiff('aaaaaaaaaa', 'axaaacaaza');

stringdiff
x c z

Regards,
Aleksander