[Pljava-dev] uuid datatypes and prepared statements

From: lucas at mcsnw(dot)com (Lucas Madar)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] uuid datatypes and prepared statements
Date: 2009-06-24 18:57:28
Lists: pljava-dev

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I had spent a few hours trying to figure out
the problem and it was getting late. I was trying both for Strings and
native UUIDs, because I thought that could be a potential solution. The
solution worked except for setting null UUIDs, as there is no SqlType
that corresponds to them in PL/Java.

The problem turns out to be in postgresql itself and only manifests in
prepared statements. In fact, the error occurs when preparing the
statement the first time, not when actually querying anything. Since the
prepared statement is using a 'text' type for the column value and the
actual column type is uuid, this is an implicit cast from text to uuid,
which postgresql doesn't allow. I worked around this with CREATE CAST
and a custom C driver (yuck). I noticed that you're a postgresql
developer as well; is this something that is planned to be fixed in 8.4?

Thanks,
Lucas