Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware
Date: 2008-12-10 17:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr writes:
>> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> BTW, why does this work on warthog buildfarm member? Different compiler
>>> version?
>>>
>> it's configured with --enable-debug.
>> Maybe run_build.pl should run twice, onece with --enable-debug once
>> without.
>
> No, the standard way to deal with such issues is to set up two buildfarm
> members. This would be a 100% waste of cycles for gcc-based members
> anyway, since gcc generates the same code with or without -g. However,
> for compilers where it makes a difference, it might well be worth having
> an additional member to test the optimized build.

I think current infrastructures is not good for it. For example I would like to
compile postgres on one machine with three different compiler and in 32 or 64
mode. Should I have 6 animals? I think better idea is to have one animal and
several test sets. Animals defines HW+OS version and test set specify PG
version, configure switches, compiler and so on.

these are my two cents

Zdenek