Re: RAID controllers for Postgresql on large setups

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chris Ruprecht <chris(at)ruprecht(dot)org>
Cc: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RAID controllers for Postgresql on large setups
Date: 2008-05-13 04:40:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> did you try to run the 345 on an IBM ServeRAID 6i?

No the only controllers I had at the time were the 2120 and the LSI on
board that is limited to RAID 1. I put the drives on the LSI in JBOD and
used Linux software raid.

The key identifier for me was using a single writer over 6 (RAID 10)
drives with the 2120 I could get ~ 16 megs a second. The moment I went
to multiple writers it dropped exponentially.

However with software raid I was able to sustain ~ 16 megs a second over
multiple threads. I stopped testing at 4 threads when I was getting 16
megs per thread :). I was happy at that point.

Joshua D. Drake