Refactored queries needing validation of syntactic equivalence

From: Mike Adams <madams55075(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Refactored queries needing validation of syntactic equivalence
Date: 2007-10-10 23:25:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello! I'm a long time lurker who has become responsible for maintaining
/ updating utility queries at work. I've reworked two queries (as text
attachment as they are wide lines) to enhance the planner's chance of
speeding up the queries (Oracle8i's).

I'm looking for someone to eyeball them and let me know if I've folded
the sub-selects up correctly (I'm the ONLY sql speaking person at work
so having a coworker do so is unfortunately not possible).

Also unfortunately, there currently aren't any issues in the database
that these queries are designed to find. All I can say for sure is (as
you can see below each query) my refactored queries *at the least*
return *no* data faster than the legacy queries...

Thank you in advance and I wish the application at work used postgresql
as it's backend!

Michael Adams

Attachment Content-Type Size
legacy_vs_refactored.txt text/plain 6.5 KB