Re: Upper and Lower-cased Database names?

From: "Christian Rengstl" <Christian(dot)Rengstl(at)klinik(dot)uni-regensburg(dot)de>
To: "Daniel B(dot) Thurman" <dant(at)cdkkt(dot)com>, "Pgsql-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upper and Lower-cased Database names?
Date: 2007-10-10 08:13:53
Lists: pgsql-general

This error probably does not have anything to do with the case of your
database name. Instead you probably logged into a database which is not
MyTest, because it is not possible to log into a database x and make a
query on database y.

Christian Rengstl M.A.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin II
Kardiologie - Forschung
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg
B3 1.388
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
93053 Regensburg
Tel.: +49-941-944-7230

>>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:05 AM, in message
<021126B987E43D44A860139823C079110E2BA6(at)orion(dot)cdkkt(dot)com>, "Daniel B.
Thurman"
<dant(at)cdkkt(dot)com> wrote:

> I am finding out for the first time that by having a database
created
> with the name: MyTest, I cannot do a simple query as follows:
>
> postgres=# select * from MyTest.public.cars;
> ERROR: cross- database references are not implemented:
"mytest.public.cars"

> Notice, however since I created a cars table in the postgres
database, I was
> able to do a query:
>
> postgres=# select * from postgres.public.cars ;
>
> carid | name | vendor | type
> ------- +-------------- +-------- +------
> H1 | Civic | Honda | FF
> N1 | Skyline GT- R | Nissan | 4WD
> T1 | Supra | Toyota | FR
> T2 | MR- 2 | Toyota | FF
> (4 rows)
>
> So the problem, it seems that mixed case database names might not be

> supported
> with pssql? I have a feeling that the default character set is SQL-
ASCII and
> should be
> changed to something else? What might that be and how can I
change/update
> the
> character- set (encoding)?
>
> Thanks!