Upper and Lower-cased Database names?

From: "Daniel B(dot) Thurman" <dant(at)cdkkt(dot)com>
To: "Pgsql-General \(E-mail\)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Upper and Lower-cased Database names?
Date: 2007-10-10 08:05:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I am finding out for the first time that by having a database created
with the name: MyTest, I cannot do a simple query as follows:

postgres=# select * from MyTest.public.cars;
ERROR: cross-database references are not implemented: "mytest.public.cars"

Notice, however since I created a cars table in the postgres database, I was
able to do a query:

postgres=# select * from postgres.public.cars ;

carid | name | vendor | type
-------+--------------+--------+------
H1 | Civic | Honda | FF
N1 | Skyline GT-R | Nissan | 4WD
T1 | Supra | Toyota | FR
T2 | MR-2 | Toyota | FF
(4 rows)

So the problem, it seems that mixed case database names might not be supported
with pssql? I have a feeling that the default character set is SQL-ASCII and should be
changed to something else? What might that be and how can I change/update the
character-set (encoding)?

Thanks!
Dan

Checked by AVG Free Edition.