Re: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

From: "Jan Muszynski" <postgres(at)jancm(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4
Date: 2007-01-22 14:03:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:11, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:27:41PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > On 1/21/07, mbneto <mbneto(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have a dumpall file generated from a 8.0 version that I need to import
> > >back to a 7.4 server.
> > >
> > >Is there a way to do that?
> > >
> > >a psql -f db.out template1 gives me
> > >psql:/tmp/db.out:687: ERROR: syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
> >
> > you must edit your script backup manually in order to match the syntax
> > to that allowed in 7.4
> >
> > in this case you can go to the line 687 (the line is indicated in
> > psql:/tmp/db.out:line) and fix that syntax... execute again and fix
> > the next message and so on ( a good idea is to put BEGIN; at the
> > beginning of the script and ROLLBACK at the end until you fix all
> > messages)...
>
> Trying a dump from the 7.4 version of pg_dump might also work... just
> make sure to test it.

One more option that may work. Instead of using a dumpall do a schema-only
dump from 8.0. Apply that to the 7.4 version, fixing the script as needed.

Then do a data-only dump from 8.0 and restore into the empty DB on 7.4.

The schema-only file will be much smaller and easier to work with than a
dumpall file, and the data-only portion should work fine even when
regressing.

If the 7.4 dump program works against the 8.0 DB then that method should
be fine as well.