Grant Permissions for View Only

From: Chris Campbell <ccampbell(at)cascadeds(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Grant Permissions for View Only
Date: 2012-11-28 04:55:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

Using pgAdmin III version 1.14.3, PostgreSQL 9.1.5, Windows 7/64 bit

I've created a Role in a new database called [appuser]. I'd like this user to be able to run queries and view data in tables, but not be able to alter anything in the given schema. So I issued the following command:

GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA schema1 TO appuser;

I then created a new server called viewonly for the [appuser]. When I drill down to the tables and attempt to "view" the records, I get a permissions error.

ERROR: permission denied for schema schema1
Line 1: Select count(*) AS rows FROM ONLY schema1.mytable

So I went back and added the following permission:

GRANT EXECUTE ON ALL FUNCTIONS IN SCHEMA schema1 TO appuser;

Didn't work. So I then added:

GRANT EXECUTE ON ALL FUNCTIONS IN SCHEMA public TO appuser;

Still doesn't work.

What am I missing and how do I fix this so a user can "view" but not change data using pgAdmin III?

Thanks,

Chris