[Pljava-dev] JNI_CreateJavaVM

From: schabi at logix-tt(dot)com (Markus Schaber)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] JNI_CreateJavaVM
Date: 2006-09-26 13:41:44
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi, Lyle,

Lyle wrote:

> I had found another cpu specific 'error' in line 102 of that same
> Makefile. I edited that line and then tried to run make. So there are
> issues with the Makefile as you suggested.

Could you post your fix here, so we can review it, and it can be applied
to the CVS eventually?

> As far as mixing 32 with 64 bit code, I installed Java and Java libs
> from the SuSE distro dvd. I installed no Java source from anywhere else.

How did you install your PostgreSQL and your gcc toolchain? From the
same DVD? Then they all should be the same platform, at least, if SuSE
didn't break it.

> Maybe if I back off and try installing on one of our old Proliant
> 3000's(PII 400MHz), it might work<GRIN>?!? Or install the 32 bit kernel
> on the Xeon?

You don't need a 32-bit kernel, an 64-bit kernel for running 32-bit apps
is just fine (and might even perform better than a 32-bit kernel on some
configurations). You can also have a mixture of both 32-bit and 64-bit
applications installed on a 64-bit kernel. This leads to having some
libs available in both 32-bit and 64-bit, but apart from some wasted
disk space and RAM, it doesn't hurt.

But you have to make sure that PostgreSQL, pljava and the JDK all are
the the same "bit-number".

The "gcc 64 bit lib error related to an incompatible libjvm.so (in the
i386 directory)" you quoted in your previous message made me think that
PostgreSQL and PLJava seem to be compiled in 64-bit, whereas the JDK is
in 32-bit.

HTH,
Markus

Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS