Re: Migration to Maven

From: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Pavel Kajaba <pkajaba(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration to Maven
Date: 2015-12-02 08:08:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wednesday 02 of December 2015 02:49:07 Pavel Kajaba wrote:
> Fedora packages are build offline and all binary files (jars and class
> files) are removed

Just to give it some reasoning.

We remove all (program/code) binary files from upstream tarballs, because
you simply (a) *can't be sure* what the binary does and (b) you can't tell
whether licensing is not broken (we need to be sure we can legally
re-distribute).

> simply all dependencies have to be obtained from software, which is
> packed in Fedora already.

Yes, either package must be built completely from source, or we may use
our other already distributed packages as dependencies (which already
_must_ built from source too).

Downloading some binary jars from internet is not acceptable. Fedora is
not alone -- this issue probably blocks all (sane) FOSS distributions
around.

Pavel