Re: Performance problem with timestamps in result sets

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problem with timestamps in result sets
Date: 2006-03-08 15:01:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> In short, whenever the ResultSet contains a timestamp value, the JDBC
> driver takes nearly one second to extract it

> -> AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getTimestamp(int) : 7130ms | 8190 calls

> Now my question is, is there something to make this faster ? Nearly
> 1sec for a ResulSet.getTimestamp call is too much for us.

Your profiling numbers show about 0.9 milliseconds per call, not 1
second per call, if I am reading them right?

That's still slower than I would have expected, though. I did no
profiling at the time I rewrote the timestamp stuff to actually work
correctly. Perhaps you'd like to profile in more detail and submit some
patches?

-O