Re: A costing analysis tool

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: A costing analysis tool
Date: 2005-10-19 19:33:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This would require capture of information beyond what I was thinking
about in terms of schema. Do you think we need to capture just index
type, or something more? Do you propose that we capture the pg_*
metadata related to every object referenced in the plan, every object
related to every table in the query, or everything in the entire
database?

>>> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> >>>

[smip]

the only way you're going analyze index costing by type
of index is if the index name is stored somewhere (db_object) so that it

can be matched to its characteristics.

[snip]