Re: postmaster crash - another server process exited abnormally

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Michael Korotun <michael(at)softasap(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster crash - another server process exited abnormally
Date: 2005-05-06 13:43:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Korotun wrote:

> I have Postgres 8.0.1 on Linux FC3 and everything goes fine, except that a
> one time per week approximately I am getting server crash with a message in
> log:

> LOG: server process (PID 5252) was terminated by signal 9

Sounds like something is sending SIGKILL (kill -9) to your backend
processes. If you're not doing it, I don't suppose you could be running
out of RAM could you? The Linux out-of-memory (oom) process killer has
traditionally been fairly useless at choosing "safe" processes to kill.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd