postmaster crash - another server process exited abnormally

From: "Michael Korotun" <michael(at)softasap(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postmaster crash - another server process exited abnormally
Date: 2005-05-06 12:54:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Guys,

I am writing here again. Here is the scenario of my problem:

I have Postgres 8.0.1 on Linux FC3 and everything goes fine, except that a
one time per week approximately I am getting server crash with a message in
log:

==========================

LOG: server process (PID 5252) was terminated by signal 9

LOG: terminating any other active server processes

WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.

This message is appearing perhaps 40x times and server stopped. I am
wondering how can I get details of where it comes from? What is the process
is crashing and what causes it. Please, any help is greatly appreciated as
always.

Best Regards,

Michael Korotun