Re: Consecutive row count query

From: Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Leon Stringer <leon(dot)stringer(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Consecutive row count query
Date: 2005-03-17 23:35:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

You could hack it using a custom aggregate. NB: you'll want to reset the
categorizer_seq every now and then. And this isn't safe for concurrent
queries. You could make it safe for concurrent queries by using a
complex type for STYPE, but I didn't bother. I also haven't debugged
this, but I think it expresses the concept.

CREATE SEQUENCE categorizer_seq;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION categorizer_func (string, string) RETURNS
bigint VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT AS '
SELECT CASE WHEN $1 = $2
THEN (SELECT last_value FROM categorizer_seq)
ELSE nextval(''categorizer_seq'')
END AS category
' LANGUAGE SQL;

CREATE AGGREGATE categorizer (
BASETYPE = text,
SFUNC = categorizer_func,
STYPE = text,
INITCOND = ''
);

SELECT col1, count(*)
FROM (
SELECT col1, cagetorizer(col1) AS category
FROM mytable
ORDER BY col_order
) tmp
GROUP BY (col1, category);