Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases are up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases are up
Date: 2024-08-03 15:27:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> For the "Prevent infinite loop in VACUUM" item, I noticed two things

Thanks for looking!

> 1) In REL_17_STABLE, the behavior is an ERROR -- not an infinite loop.
> Perhaps it is not worth mentioning the differing behavior because 17
> hasn't GA'd yet, but I just wanted to bring this up since I wasn't
> sure of the convention.

Right, at this point v17 is not a target of these notes, so I just
documented what happens in <= 16. I did include the commit hashes
for v17/master in the comments, but that's mostly to reassure anyone
who looks that the issue was addressed in those branches.

> 2) The note says <command>VACUUM</command>. This issue is, of course,
> not limited to explicitly issued vacuum commands (i.e.
> autovacuum-initiated vacuums can also encounter it). Again, I don't
> know if this matters or what the convention is here.

I think we usually just say VACUUM. If it affected autovacuum
differently, that might be worth documenting; but IIUC it's the
same.