Re: Alter table syntax

From: Patrick Nelson <pnelson(at)neatech(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL List (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter table syntax
Date: 2002-10-23 17:15:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Garo Hussenjian wrote:
----------------->>>>
Can anyone remind me how to make a column 'not null' after it is created?
----------------->>>>
>From an earlier email (search the archives for more)

HTH

<snip>................
I ultimately followed the dump-edit-recreate route which was much simpler
(and pretty darn fast also) than I thought it would be. I also went with
his process of using a recreate.sql file for this and future changes to any
of my databases. Based on Joel's email, here is the process I
followed:

1. Dump the database using:
pg_dump -S postgres <database name> > dbdump.sql
2. Created a file called recreate.sql which looks like:
DROP DATABASE <database name>;
CREATE DATABASE <database name> WITH TEMPLATE=template1;
\c <database name>
3. Added a \i recreate.sql to the top of dbdump.sql and then edited table
structure in question.
4. Run the command (just want to see errors):
echo "\i dbdump.sql" | psql template1 1>/dev/null
5. Re-dump using similar command in step 1 and diff the two dump files for a
sanity check