Re: beta time

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta time
Date: 2004-08-08 05:09:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>>1. '{{"1 2" x},{3}}'
>>2. '{{},{}}'
>
>>My patch would generate an ERROR for either. Tom, you questioned my
>>disallowing of both of these, but didn't seem to have a very strong
>>opinion.
>
> I don't have any great love for the first item --- I think it was an
> unintended consequence of the way the code was first written, rather
> than something the author meant to support.
>
> I'm more concerned about what the second should mean, but I do have to
> concede that we'd likely want to appropriate this syntax to mean NULL
> array entries as soon as we support NULL array entries. So rejecting it
> at the moment may be a forward-looking thing to do.

I committed the attached.

Regarding the release notes, I take it that we should modify
doc/src/sgml/release.sgml? Does the following sound reasonable, or
should I provide specific examples?

<listitem>
<para>
Syntax checking of array input processing has been tighened up
considerably. Junk that was previously allowed in odd places with
odd results now causes an ERROR. Also changed behavior with respect
to whitespace; trailing whitespace is now ignored as well as leading
whitespace (which has always been ignored).
</para>
</listitem>

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
array-fixes-state.3.patch text/x-patch 15.3 KB