Re: A minor bug in the doc of "SQL Functions Returning Sets" in xfunc.sgml.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, 日向充 <mitsuru(dot)hinata(dot)5432(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A minor bug in the doc of "SQL Functions Returning Sets" in xfunc.sgml.
Date: 2024-07-19 04:05:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 7:10 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> Not sure that this is worth changing. The examples work OK when taken
>> in isolation or are able to demonstrate the point they want to show.
>> In short, not all these queries are here to be compatible with the
>> contents in the same area. See for example the case of the "nodes"
>> table on the same page, created nowhere. "tab" is just a more generic
>> table name that's more spread.

> Clearly this page repeatedly expects tab.x to exist; and for these queries
> to be executable. This seems like the least invasive way to make that
> expectation reality.

I'm with Michael here. Only in the tutorial do we expect there to be
a continuing thread of commands that you can just copy-and-paste and
expect to work. I do not think it's reasonable to extend that policy
to the rest of the manual: in other places, there are too many
distinct topics under consideration and too much reason to make
localized changes.