Re: bug in substring???

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug in substring???
Date: 2004-02-06 23:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe wrote:
> gives me nothing. Shouldn't a negative offset, or even 0 offset result in
> an error or something here? Or is there a special meaning to a negative
> offset I'm not getting?

In varlena.c there is this comment:

* text_substr()
* Return a substring starting at the specified position.
* - thomas 1997-12-31
*
* Input:
* - string
* - starting position (is one-based)
* - string length
*
* If the starting position is zero or less, then return from the start
* of the string adjusting the length to be consistent with the
* "negative start" per SQL92. If the length is less than zero, return
* the remaining string.

Joe