Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.

From: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.
Date: 1999-12-15 23:26:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm trying to put my finger on my backend crash.

Any insight on any of the following would be very helpful:

How many backend processes is considered a large number? The man pages
says the default is 32. Does anyone set their number higher?

Kind of related to the question above; when does the postmaster spawn
another backend process? Is it for each additional connection, or will
each backend process handle several connections/queries before another
process is started?

The postmaster log file, why are the entries not datestamped? If I start
the postmaster with a debug level of 2 or greater do I get datestamped
entries? Also, what is the highest debug level and how big can I expect
the log to grow? Can I rotate the log without stopping the postmaster?

What is the pg_log file in the data directory?

What are the major system resources used by postgres, i.e. semaphores, file
handles, mbufs, etc.? I'm trying to determine if I have my resources
configured high enough for my user base.

Again, thank you! I'll try not to be such a problem in the future! :)

Matthew