Re: pg_maintain and USAGE privilege on schema

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_maintain and USAGE privilege on schema
Date: 2024-07-10 19:29:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2024-07-10 at 17:13 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> ISTM that both
> pg_read_all_data and pg_write_all_data roles are defined similarly,
> with USAGE rights on all schemas.

I'm not so sure that was a great idea to begin with. If you create a
private schema with a SECURITY DEFINER function in it, it's a bit odd
to allow someone with pg_read_all_data to execute it. Granted, that's
documented behavior, but I'm not sure the privileges should be bundled
in that fashion.

> > It might be reasonable to give implicit USAGE privileges on all
> > schemas
> > during maintenance commands to pg_maintain roles.

That's an even more specific exception: having USAGE only in the
context of a maintenance command. I think that's a new concept, right?

Regards,
Jeff Davis