"on insert" rules happen before the insert?

From: treat00(at)yahoo(dot)com (Thomas Reat)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "on insert" rules happen before the insert?
Date: 2003-12-30 21:49:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

The postgresql documentation claims that "on insert" rules are executed
after the insert. This is not happening for me. I have a rule that is being
executed even though the insert should have failed due to a foreign key check.

The rule does an insert that is failing, and the whole insert fails. So in
this case it's not a huge problem. But I get a completely useless error
message, and as far as I can tell there is no way to determine exactly what
caused the failure (except for the fact that I happen to know what rule
can cause that error).

I'd like the person inserting a row that violates the foreign key check to
get a useful error message.

Is this a documentation bug? How can I get the desired behavior?