Re: Postgres and MySQL Rosetta stone??

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: leonardz <leonardz(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres and MySQL Rosetta stone??
Date: 2008-01-10 15:11:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 9, 2008, at 12:19 PM, leonardz wrote:

> I am reading through HeadFirst SQL (an OReilly book) which uses
> specific MySQLisms in its examples. I use postgres on our databases.
> Some examples are easy to work around, some are not .
>
> Is there a rosetta stone (table of commands in one and equivalents
> inthe other) available?

There are a few compatibility lists/articles around (have you tried
Google?), but they're often out of date since both databases are in
constant, active development. I'd suggest getting a different book
that gives examples in Postgres or, failing that, read the Postgres
manual and learn how to translate them yourself. There is a Postgres
list dedicated specifically to SQL/query questions as well (pgsql-sql@).

> In particular, MySQl seems to have richer string functions to parse
> out sub strings and als trim a string for automatic table insertion
> from long multifield strings.

PostgreSQL has extensive string maniputation functions: http://
www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions-string.html

Erik Jones