Re: [GENERAL] pgindented tsearch2 for 7.3.4

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgindented tsearch2 for 7.3.4
Date: 2003-09-24 16:47:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>It is actually this code that is causing it:
>
> LOOPBYTE(
> if ((sign[i] & 0xff) != 0xff)
> PG_RETURN_POINTER(retval);
> );
>
>With the macro being:
>
> #define LOOPBYTE(a) \
> for(i=0;i<SIGLEN;i++) {\
> a;\
> }
>
>If you ask me, this is just _weird_ code and should not be allowed.

Amen :-)

This reminds me of the famous "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal", which
says:

"If you ignore the fact that it's "structured", even 'C' programming can
be appreciated by the Real Programmer: after all, there's no type
checking, variable names are seven (ten? eight?) characters long, and
the added bonus of the Pointer data type is thrown in—-like having the
best parts of *FORTRAN * and assembly language in one place (not to
mention some of the more creative uses for *#DEFINE*)."

:-)

cheers

andrew