Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tommi Mäkitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Date: 2003-09-02 11:40:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
>

>>How about silently creating a IPV6 style host internally for every IPV4
>>pg_hba.conf entry? It won't make any sense to handle a real IPV4 address
>>different from an IPV4 address converted to IPV6 address space.
>>

>Hmm. I could go for that, if it weren't that there seem to be several
>different conventions for embedding IPv4 in IPv6. Should we auto-create
>pg_hba.conf entries for all of the possibly equivalent addresses?

AFAICS RFC2253 states that an IPV4 node connecting should get the
Address ::ffff:<IPV4addr>, so this should be sufficient.

>What if that creates conflicts?

If there's a conflict, it isn't created by this automatic entry, but
revealed because it was already there.
host 192.168.0.0/24
host ::ffff:102.168.0.0/125
This is already a conflict, not getting better or worse if we add
host ::ffff:102.168.0.0/120
as IPV6 duplicate for the first line.

I created a patch to hba.c which uses IPV4 entries as IPV6 entries if
running on a IPV6 system (which is detected from a port coming in as
AF_INET6)

Regards,
Andreas

Attachment Content-Type Size