Re: Sanity check requested

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: nickf(at)ontko(dot)com
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Performance(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sanity check requested
Date: 2003-07-17 16:40:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Nick Fankhauser wrote:
> Thanks for the correction- it sounds like this is one where usage
> can't be precisely controlled in a dynamic user environment & I just
> need to get a feel for what works under a load that approximates my
> production system.

I think the most important point here is that if you set sort_mem too
high, and you have a lot of simultaneous sorts, you can drive the server
into swapping, which obviously is a very bad thing. You want it set as
high as possible, but not so high given your usage patterns that you
wind up swapping.

Joe