PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler
Date: 2003-07-05 05:48:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This week I have done some performance tuning at a customer's office. We
have beaten (demoralized) MS SQL and DB2 in serializable mode and DB2 in
any transaction isolation level :).

By the way: In case of very simple statements SERIALIZABLE is about 3
times faster than READ COMMITTED. I expected it to be faster but I did
not expect this difference.

We have used Peter's fix which makes it possible to compile PostgreSQL
with Intel's C compiler. PostgreSQL built nicely (just some nasty
warnings). We have tries to run our benchmark (mostly simple statements
and cursor work) on this version of PostgreSQL but the database cluster
corrupted almost instantly. Although PostgreSQL compiled nicely we
could not get the system running without corrupting something.
Maybe this behaviour should be varified by somebody else and documented
somewhere (maybe a FAQ?).

Regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria