Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?
Date: 2003-03-26 08:17:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Uz.ytkownik Bruno Wolff III napisa?:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:24:55 +0100,
> Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net> wrote:
>
>>Uz.ytkownik Josh Berkus napisa?:
>>
>>It looks it could be useful to display how much time is left for
>>scheduling cases, but as I wrote few threads ago - displaying intervals
>>longer than one month is useless without specific date.
>

> That isn't true. Intervals have two parts. One is time difference in
> fixed time and the other is a difference in months. You could display
> both parts when they are both nonzero.
>
> I haven't found the documenation too specific on which part gets added
> first (and this does make a difference in some cases).
It looks like you are right:

SELECT cast('300 days' as interval)+cast('1 month' as interval);;
?column?
----------------
1 mon 300 days

SELECT to_char(cast('300 days' as interval)+cast('1 month' as
interval),'DDD');;
to_char
---------
300
(1 row)

SELECT to_char('2002-12-31'::timestamp
-'2002-01-01'::timestamp,'YYYY-MM-DD');;
to_char
0000-00-36
(1 row)

Thanks for noticing this, these results are really strange for me.
I should remember NOT to use months when working with intervals. It
looks like intervals contain 2 totally independent values inside.

I have one more question to this thread - Does anyone use intervals
month value?

Tomasz