FileSize limit not handled.

From: "Frdric SURLEAU" <frederic(dot)surleau(at)atosorigin(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FileSize limit not handled.
Date: 2003-03-24 11:03:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi, I had a problem with postgresql 7.3.2 running on a Linux RedHat system.

On this system, the file size is limited using ulimit.

When the limit is reached for a database file, Postgres does THIS :

LOG: server process (pid 4820) was terminated by signal 25
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
... / ...
WARNING: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
semaphores
LOG: database system was interrupted at 2003-03-20 23:39:17 CET
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/542DF05C
LOG: redo record is at 0/542DF05C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG: next transaction id: 510333; next oid: 120396
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/542DF09C
LOG: ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/5441DC88
LOG: redo done at 0/5441DC64
LOG: database system is ready

I think a process receiving a "signal 25" or SIGXFSZ while inserting a row
should not hang all the server like that !

In this case, only one table has problem, it's not necessary to stop the
server and terminate connections to all database.

Could the process answer something like "Unable to INSERT a new row ! (File
size limit reached)", and then explain the problem in the log file ?

It was very difficult to me to find the origin of the problem because I had
no access to the system log.
In My PHP script, the only information was the WARNING asking to reconnect
and redo the request ! ? !

Regards,
Frédéric SURLEAU.