Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup

From: Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup
Date: 2003-02-13 22:50:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

> SQL92 says:
> <direct select statement: multiple rows> ::=
> <query expression> [ <order by clause> ]
> [...]
> 3) Let T be the table specified by the <query expression>.
>
> 4) If ORDER BY is specified, then each <sort specification> in the
> <order by clause> shall identify a column of T.

Then it looks like postgres behaviour is still not compliant, if I read it correctly, because

select x from mytable order by y;

should be invalid according to this, but works just fine in postres.

Dima.

P.S. I think, this is a great feature actually (missed it a lot in informix), so, I hope, you guys won't start discussing how to fix it :-)