Re: Postgres JDBC3 driver compliance

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres JDBC3 driver compliance
Date: 2003-01-15 16:41:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ian Howlett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if someone can tell me how compliant the new (14 Jan 2003) Postgres
> JDBC 3 driver is with the JDBC 3 standard.

In general the jdbc spec is self documenting via the DatabaseMetaData
class. The spec requires methods in this class that detail which
functionality a database supports. You should also realize that being
compliant with the spec doesn't imply that all functionality is
supported. A fully compliant driver could implement vary little
functionality.

> In particular, does it support
> * Reusue of prepared statements by connection pools

What part of the jdbc spec are you talking about here? I am not aware
of any jdbc features on reusing prepared statements.

> * Retrieval of auto-generated keys

No. The currently is know way to do this in postgres. Until the
database itself adds this functionality the driver cannot implement it.

> * Ability to have multiple open ResultSet objects

This has always been supported.

> I can't seem to find any documentation on the state of the JDBC driver code.
> If anyone has any useful links etc then please let me know.

Contributions to improve the documentation are always welcome.

> Kind regards,
> Ian

thanks,
--Barry