Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Date: 2002-12-19 17:57:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the fact
> that we
> ****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice and no way to keep the
> app working on
> the current release without MAJOR changes to the app. (some apps just
> have it so ingrained
> in them).
>
> We ***SHOULD*** have noticed the user community, and had a transition
plan.

> This should be a lesson to us to be more sensitive to applications out
> there, and
> give NOTICE about compatibility issues.

Isn't that what beta is for? - For app developers to test their apps
against the new version to discover problems/issues before the
production release. If this had been brought up during the beta period
there may well have been a different outcome.

In general it is difficult to determine whether any particular change
will impact app developers. And this problem isn't unique to postgres.
I can't remember a major Oracle upgrade that hasn't broken my
applications in some way. The difference with Oracle is that I don't
find out until the new release is production, whereas with postgres I
ensure that I am testing with all the betas and getting any issues
resolved before it goes production.

--Barry