Re: Limiting database size

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Eric <emayo(at)pozicom(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting database size
Date: 2002-06-26 23:41:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Eric,
>
>>I like the idea of putting it on a hard disk or partition of fixed size and
>>waiting for the DB to simply crash.
>>hahaha
>>

>Yeah. <grin> It's what MS SQL Server does, though. As I said, I think the
>whole concept of limiting database size in MB is fundamentally flawed. I
>mean, what's the database supposed to do when it runs out of space?

Refuse updates, deletes, and inserts (from anything other than a DB
superuser). However you should be able to select data. Once the
database has exceeded its bounds, it would revert to read only status
and wait for administrative intervention such as enlarging the quota
(allocatable size) or altering the database to reduce its size.

Adding the checks wouldn't break existing databases if you defaulted the
checks to off.

This could also significantly help in hosting situations by preventing a
client for exceeding a specified quota and taking over the allocated
area for the postgres database.

Thinking about it, it seems like a good safety feature (aside from good
partitioning and system layout to begin with).