Re: Limiting database size

From: terry <tg5027(at)citlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting database size
Date: 2002-06-26 23:07:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

>> Yeah. <grin> It's what MS SQL Server does, though. As I
>> said, I think the whole concept of limiting database size in
>> MB is fundamentally flawed. I mean, what's the database
>> supposed to do when it runs out of space?

Display a window that says:

"Management has determined that this database shall not exceed
XXXmb. If your business function requires more disk space - take
it up with your manager."

Limiting database size is not a problem for developers, unless
they are unable/unwilling to explain to their management that
disks are a whole lot less expensive than terminating a database
application that depends them.

But then, M$ never takes any responsibility for the amount of
disk space it wastes.....

terry