Re: SQL server application porting headache

From: Oskar Berggren <beo(at)sgs(dot)o(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL server application porting headache
Date: 2002-06-23 14:48:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Oskar Berggren <beo(at)sgs(dot)o(dot)se> writes:
>
>> 2. With the openlink ODBC driver I succesfully got the application
>> to connect to the database. But now I run into case-sensitivity
>> problems. The first query that fail look like this:
>

>> SELECT "OperatorID" FROM "IntParams" WHERE OperatorID=0;
>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>> notice no quotes here
>

> They expect that to work? AFAICS, that will be broken in any database
> that is anywhere remotely close to SQL spec compliant. If the quoted
> form works then the stored column name must be mixed-case, and that
> means that it can *not* be accessed with an unquoted reference.

Maybe so, but it obviously work with MS Access and MS SQL Server. Though
I am not surprised that those products are less specific concerning
case. Normally I don't condone such behavior, but in this case I need
to get this working without changing/correcting the client application.

I have been looking at the parser somewhat and I have located the
conversion to lowercase in the flex source code. It seems fairly
easy to do this conversion even in the case of a quoted identifier. In
fact, I'm just about to install a modified version of PostgreSQL. Or
is there some other reason this won't work?

regards,
Oskar