Re: Maximum Performance

From: Luis Amigo <lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es>
To: Manuel Trujillo <manueltrujillo(at)dorna(dot)es>, "pgsql-adminl(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum Performance
Date: 2002-01-24 12:46:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Manuel Trujillo wrote:

> El jue, 24-01-2002 a las 09:27, Luis Amigo escribió:
> > On my own experience I will tell you that if you're able to force postgres
> > to keep all database in memory it will be very fast, so memory only depends
> > on your
> > database size.
> > Each backend may run on a different processor, so the more processors u
> > have the more backends u can run at once
> > hope it helps
>
> Yes, but... How can I know the exact size of my database? And, if I
> compile the postgresql under four processors, don't work like (or in a)
> SMP, distributing the charge into the four processors??
>
> --
> Manuel Trujillo manueltrujillo(at)dorna(dot)es
> Technical Engineer http://www.motograndprix.com
> Dorna Sports S.L. +34 93 4702864

Si prefieres hablamos en español.

we're currently working on a 8-processor sgi server with irix by now each
backend run in one processor there is no load balance
the amount of memory u will need is as I know (table size+indexes size) they are
in your base directory, if u can afford it then u will be working on memory
but fsync and walfiles
hope it help

Attachment Content-Type Size
lamigo.vcf text/x-vcard 290 bytes