Re: Release for 9.5

From: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>
To: Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Stephen Nelson <stephen(at)eccostudio(dot)com>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release for 9.5
Date: 2015-11-12 23:52:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

+1 to not having to match versions but we should have a version compatability matrix. As new features are added to core PG,there needs to be a clear indication of where they're supported.

As of now the recommendation is to always use the latest driver. As new data types of other features are supported, it should be clear which driver versions support which core DB features. Rather than doing it at a feature level I think it makes more sense to do it at a DB version level (since PG doesn't backpack new features).

Similarly, if a legacy feature becomes unsupported, for example if we finally remove v2 protocol support, that should be clearly marked.

As far as actual version numbers go, if the maven coordinates are not going to change then we will need to ensure they are semver greater than the existing version. Otherwise it'll cause a world of comparability issues.

Regards,
Sehrope Sarkuni