Re: UNIQUE INDEX unaware of transactions (a spin ofquestion)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UNIQUE INDEX unaware of transactions (a spin ofquestion)
Date: 2001-06-18 10:24:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Jarmo Paavilainen writes:
>
> > *I think* this is correct behaviour, ie all that one transaction does should
> > be visible to other transactions.
>
> Only in the "read uncommitted" transaction isolation level, which
> PostgreSQL does not provide and isn't really that useful.

> You can try yourself how PostgreSQL handles this, which is probably not
> the right thing since unique contraints are not correctly transaction
> aware.

Is there any way to make unique indexes transaction-aware ?

Are competeing updates on unique indexes transaction-aware ?

I.e. can I be sure that if I do

begin;
if select where key=1 result exists
then update where key=1
else insert(key,...)values(1,...)
end;

then this will have the expected behaviour in presence of multiple
concurrent updaters?

Hannu