Re: Partition By Range Without PrimaryKey : Postgresql Version 12.8 on AWS RDS

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Phani Prathyush Somayajula <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partition By Range Without PrimaryKey : Postgresql Version 12.8 on AWS RDS
Date: 2023-05-24 12:35:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On May 23, 2023, at 10:30 PM, Phani Prathyush Somayajula <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Didn't quite get the question, Scott

I asked, what's wrong with partitioning by placedon, with a primary key of (betid, placedon). You responded that the client has some queries which group by brandid. How does adding placedon to the primary key interfere with that?

At no point have you explained how adding placedon to the primary key is a problem. I expect it is not actually a problem. It seems that you should just do what the error suggested, add placedon to the primary key.