WAL Archive Cleanup on Master/Standby

From: "Doiron, Daniel" <DoironD(at)advisory(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WAL Archive Cleanup on Master/Standby
Date: 2014-10-15 16:02:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm curious how others are cleaning up their WAL archive files and other miscellany created by the process.

Here's my setup:

Server A: archive_command executes a script that rsync's the archive file to a local folder and a matching folder on the standby server (does not mirror the folder, just pushes the file twice)

Server B: recovery.conf archive_cleanup_command uses pg_archivecleanup to clean the standby archive folder and sends log output to a cleanup.log file

What I'm left with:

- WAL archive files on the Master server that only get cleaned up if I fail over and recover using a new pg_basebackup from Server B to Server A

- .history and .backup files on the standby server

- Entries in the cleanup.log file

Right now, I'm thinking my cleanup will involve (every 6 months):

- Failing over my cluster (kidding)

- Truncating the cleanup.log file

- ?? with .history and .backup files

What are you doing?